|This article is about a/an series entry (the 11th) in the Kamen Rider Series.|
|Kamen Rider Agito|
|Number of episodes:||51 + 6 Movies|
|First episode:||The Warrior's Awakening|
|Intro:||Kamen Rider AGITO (2-35, 51)|
Kamen Rider AGITO ~24.7 version~ (36-50)
|Original airing:||January 28, 2001-January 27, 2002|
Kamen Rider Kuuga
Kamen Rider Ryuki
- This article is about the television series. For the series' main character, Agito, see Shouichi Tsugami.
Kamen Rider Agito (仮面ライダーアギト Kamen Raidā Agito?, Masked Rider ΑGITΩ), is the eleventh installment in the popular Kamen Rider tokusatsu franchise. The series represented the 30th Anniversary of the Kamen Rider Series. The series was also a joint collaboration between Ishimori Productions and Toei and was shown on TV Asahi from January 28, 2001 to January 27, 2002. The catchphrase for the series is "Awaken the soul" (目覚めろ、その魂 Mezamero, sono tamashii?).
Agito and KuugaEdit
Kamen Rider Agito is often seen as a direct sequel to Kamen Rider Kuuga thanks to the basis of the G3 System being Kamen Rider Kuuga. Some sources claim otherwise that Kamen Rider Agito takes place in a parallel universe similar to Kamen Rider Kuuga.
The issue was actually explained long ago, in a note in the Agito production website from TV-Asahi, but wasn't available to the English-speaking world until around January 2013:
- "[...] Yusuke Godai fought so hard to put smiles on everyone's faces that if another conflict were to break out afterwards, it would diminish the value of everything he fought for. [...] You're free to enjoy Agito as a continuation of Kuuga if you so wish, or imagine it takes place in a parallel world, if you so choose. I appreciate this may sound like an asspull, however, so I guess I would say that while Agito takes place '2 years after #4 destroys the Unidentified Lifeforms', it is not a sequel to Kuuga, so take to the show with that in mind."
The connection between Agito and Kuuga was referenced in Kamen Rider Decade, where their World of Agito which is visited by Decade and the Hikari Studio, which includes the A.R. World Kuuga, is shown as a parallel world to the World of Kuuga. Aside from the new creatures the "Unknown", there are also the Gurongi, and the two races are shown to be fighting each other.
There was also a small nod in the movie OOO, Den-O, All Riders: Let's Go Kamen Riders, where Kuuga and Agito are shown standing alongside each other with Kamen Riders Black and Black RX (Black RX is indeed a sequel to Black, to the point where these two Riders are the same person).
A man named Shouichi Tsugami has lost his memories. He doesn't know who he is, where he came from, or how he came upon his peculiar circumstances.
Tsugami, seemingly for no reason, transforms into a powerful superhuman, Agito, whenever in the presence of the beings referred by the police as the "Unknown", a race of powerful monsters that have been causing murders around Tokyo, targeting certain people as their prey.
In response, the police department unleash their newest weapon: the G3 powersuit, originally developed to fight against the "Unidentified Lifeforms", the enemies of No.4 (Kamen Rider Kuuga). G3 and Agito don't know whether they should join up and defeat the Unknowns, their common enemy, or to combat each other, keeping the mysteries that entwine them separate. Ultimately, even more mysteries unfold, with the appearance of Kamen Rider Gills, who is on a search to uncover why his father committed suicide.
These mysteries and others collide, as the true nature of Agito would ultimately determine the fate of humanity.
|Kamen Rider Agito||Shouichi Tsugami|
|Kamen Rider G3||Makoto Hikawa (Other Users)|
|Kamen Rider G3-X||Makoto Hikawa|
|Kamen Rider G3 Mild||Takahiro Omuro|
|Kamen Rider Gills||Ryo Ashihara|
|Another Agito||Kaoru Kino|
|Kamen Rider G4||Shiro Mizuki|
- Mana Kazaya
- Professor Yoshihiko Misugi
- Taichi Misugi
- Sumiko Ozawa
- Tetsuya Sawaki
- Sakiko Mikumo
- Ryuji Tsukasa
- Dr. Higashi Kunieda
- Kana Okamura
- Risa Mizuhara
- Professor Nobuyuki Kazaya
- Sayaka Kahara
- Rei Motoki
- Tomoko Miura
- Saeko Shinohara
- Aki Sakaki
- Katsuhiko Sagara
- Masumi Sekiya
- Koji Majima
- Jun Tachibana
- Masahide Takashima
- Kazuo Ashihara
JGSDF's GA DivisionEdit
- Main article: Lords
Lord (ロード Rōdo?): The major antagonists of Agito, referred to by the police department as Unknown (アンノウン Announ?), to separate them from the Unidentified Creatures (Gurongi Tribe) that attacked humanity two years ago. The Lords are a group of powerful disciples serving under the OverLord, who created them from his body. All of their tribes are separated into species of animals. They are normally humanoid with the head of an animal, and sometimes with weapons. All of them have wing-shaped protuberances sticking out of their shoulders, perhaps symbolizing that they are angels or holy messengers.
- Main article: Kamen Rider Agito Episodes
Movies and specialsEdit
Originally aired on October 1, 2001 (between episodes 35 and 36), the Special features all three Riders plus the first appearances of G3 Mild & Agito Shining Form. Shouichi encounters his old friend and teacher and fights an Unknown at night and reaches Burning Form, but goes out of control. Then, the teacher helps him control it. All three Riders fight against the Beetle Lord. The story is ended with a mysterious girl stalking the G4 project and to be continued in the movie.
There is a difference concerning the series' plot and the special's plot. In the special, Toru Hojo finds out the truth about Shouichi's identity by secretly hearing a conversation between him and his teacher, as he stands behind a window and listens to them. In the series, however, Hojo ambushes Agito as he flees from the battle scene and sees as he reverts back to Shouichi, ultimately arresting him.
- Kamen Rider Agito The Movie: Project G4 (劇場版 仮面ライダーアギト PROJECT G4 Gekijōban Kamen Raidā Agito Purojekuto Jī Fō?)
Released in theatres on 22 September, 2001, Project G4 was a double bill with the Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger movie, "Fire Mountain Howls!". Shouichi encounters a teenage girl called Sayaka, who ran away from a military facility because of an attack by the Ant Lords. Sayaka has a supernatural ability to foresee the future. Risa Fukami, of the military group GA, wants to use that power to enhance the newly-made G4 System, which was based upon designs stolen from Ozawa. Now, Agito and Gills must fight to stop the Ant Lords' attack, as G3 and G4 settle their score. The events of the movie happen between episodes 41 and 42.
In Three Great Riders is the Hyper Battle Video for Agito. The events of the video show Telepi, the Televi-Kun mascot, calling upon Kamen Riders Agito, G3, and Gills to help fight several Lords that have invaded his world, but he will only trust the "Ultimate Rider". The video featured exclusive finishing moves for the three Riders. G3's special weapon that appears in the video, the Antares, was later featured in the television series.
S.I.C. Hero SagaEdit
Agito featured two S.I.C. Hero Saga side stories published in Monthly Hobby Japan magazine. The first was titled Kamen Rider Agito: Heaven's Door (仮面ライダーアギト -HEAVEN'S DOOR- Kamen Raidā Agito: Hebenzu Do?) and featured a crossover with Kamen Rider 555. It introduces the new characters Mirage Agito (ミラージュアギト Mirāju Agito?) and the Dog Orphnoch/Dog Lord (ドッグオルフェノク／ドッグロード Doggu Orufenoku/Doggu Rōdo?). The story was published from October 2003 to March 2004.
The second S.I.C. Hero Saga story titled Kamen Rider Agito: Project G1 (仮面ライダーアギト -PROJECT G1- Kamen Raidā Agito: Purojekuto Jī Wan?) expands on the story told in Project G4 in showing the G-Series suits Generation 1, Kamen Rider G4-X (仮面ライダーＧ４-X Kamen Raidā Jī Fō Ekkusu?), Generation 2, and the Road Chaser (ロードチェイサー Rōdo Cheisā?) vehicle. It also features the Hydrozoa Lord (ハイドロゾアロード Haidorozoa Rōdo?) Hydrozoa Tegula (ヒドロゾア・テグラ Hidorozoa Tegura?). The story was published from October 2007 to January 2008.
- Heaven's Door chapter titles
- Outset (発端 Hottan?)
- ΑgitΩ (アギト Agito?)
- Operation (操作 Sōsa?)
- Conceit (奇想 Kisō?)
- Able Person (能力者 Nōryokusha?)
- The Alpha and the Omega (ΑにしてΩ Arufa ni shite Omega?)
- Project G1 chapter titles
- GENERATION 1
- Shouichi Tsugami (津上 翔一 Tsugami Shōichi?): Toshiki Kashu (賀集 利樹 Kashū Toshiki?)
- Makoto Hikawa (氷川 誠 Hikawa Makoto?): Jun Kaname (要 潤 Kaname Jun?)
- Ryo Ashihara (葦原 涼 Ashihara Ryō?): Yūsuke Tomoi (友井 雄亮 Tomoi Yūsuke?)
- Mana Kazaya (風谷 真魚 Kazaya Mana?): Rina Akiyama (秋山 莉奈 Akiyama Rina?)
- Sumiko Ozawa (小沢 澄子 Ozawa Sumiko?): Tōko Fujita (藤田 瞳子 Fujita Tōko?)
- Tōru Hōjō (北條 透 Hōjō Tōru?): Jun Yamasaki (山崎 潤 Yamasaki Jun?)
- Kaoru Kino (木野 薫 Kino Kaoru?): Takanori Kikuchi (菊池 隆則 Kikuchi Takanori?)
- Tetsuya Sawaki (沢木 哲也 Sawaki Tetsuya?): Atsushi Ogawa (小川 敦史 Ogawa Atsushi?)
- Mysterious Youth (謎の青年 Nazo no Seinen?): Rei Haneo (羽緒 レイ Haneo Rei?)
- Mysterious Boy (謎の少年 Nazo no Shōnen?, 5-8), Overlord of Light/Agito: Ryunosuke Kamiki (神木 隆之介 Kamiki Ryūnosuke?)
- Kōji Kōno (河野 浩司 Kōno Kōji?): Kazumasa Taguchi (田口 主将 Taguchi Kazumasa?)
- Takahiro Omuro (尾室 隆弘 Omuro Takahiro?): Akiyoshi Shibata (柴田 明良 Shibata Akiyoshi?)
- Taichi Misugi (美杉 太一 Misugi Taichi?): Tokimasa Tanabe (田辺 季正 Tokimasa Tanabe?)
- Kōji Majima (真島 浩二 Majima Kōji?): Yoshikazu Kotani (小谷 嘉一 Kotani Yoshikazu?)
- Aki Sakaki (榊 亜紀 Sakaki Aki?): Masako Sakuma (佐久間 雅子 Sakuma Masako?)
- Yoshihiko Misugi (美杉 義彦 Misugi Yoshihiko?): Takeshi Masu (升 毅 Masu Takeshi?)
- Dr. Higashi Kunieda (国枝 東 Kunieda Higashi?, TVSP): Masaki Kyomoto (京本 政樹 Kyōmoto Masaki?)
- Narration (ナレーション Narēshon?): Eiichiro Suzuki (鈴木 英一郎 Suzuki Eiichirō?)
Project G4 castEdit
- Shiro Mizuki (水城 史朗 Mizuki Shirō?): Ryo Karato (唐渡 亮 Karato Ryō?)
- Risa Fukami (深海 理沙 Fukami Risa?): Maju Ozawa (小沢 真珠 Ozawa Maju?)
- Sayaka Kahara (加原 紗綾香 Kahara Sayaka?): Akane Kimura (木村 茜 Kimura Akane?)
- Rei Motoki (本木 レイ Motoki Rei?): Rikiya Otaka (大高 力也 Ōtaka Rikiya?)
- Customer in Hamburger Shop (ハンバーガーショップの客 Hanbāgā Shoppu no Kyaku?): Shunsuke Nakamura (中村 俊介 Nakamura Shunsuke?)
- Sayaka's Father (紗綾香の父 Sayaka no Chichi?): Tsuyoshi Ujiki (うじき つよし Ujiki Tsuyoshi?)
- Sayaka's Mother (紗綾香の母 Sayaka no Haha?): Noriko Watanabe (渡辺 典子 Watanabe Noriko?)
- MPD Superintendent General (警視総監 Keishi Sōkan?): Hiroshi Fujioka (藤岡 弘、 Fujioka Hiroshi,?, Cameo)
- Kamen Rider Agito: Seiji Takaiwa (高岩 成二 Takaiwa Seiji?)
- Kamen Rider G3/G3-X: Makoto Itō (伊藤 慎 Itō Makoto?)
- Kamen Rider Gills: Yoshifumi Oshikawa (押川 善文 Oshikawa Yoshifumi?)
- Another Agito: Masashi Shirai (白井 雅士 Shirai Masashi?)
- Kamen Rider G4, Kamen Rider G3 Mild: Jiro Okamoto (岡元 次郎 Okamoto Jirō?)
- Opening themes
- "Kamen Rider AGITO" (仮面ライダーAGITO Kamen Raidā AGITO?)
- "Kamen Rider AGITO ~24.7 version~" (仮面ライダーAGITO ～24.7 version～ Kamen Raidā AGITO ~24.7 bājon~?)
- Ending themes
- "BELIEVE YOURSELF"
- "STRANGER IN THE DARK"
- "MACHINE TORNADER"
- Lyrics: Shoko Fujibayashi
- Composition & Arrangement: Kazunori Miyake
- Artist: Shinichi Ishihara
- Episodes: 14, 31, 40
- "DEEP BREATH"
- "OVERLORD" (オーヴァーロード Ōbārōdo?)
- Artist: Overlord Choir
- Episodes: 42
- Movie theme
- "Jiken da!" (事件だッ!? "It's Trouble!")
A few albums were released for Kamen Rider Agito, mostly original soundtracks for the series and film.
- Agito is the first Kamen Rider series to feature the three main types of Riders: a mystical Rider (one that draws power from ancient technology or mystical methods), an organic Rider (one whose anatomy changes to become a Rider), and a high-technology Rider (one who is either a cyborg or uses advanced technology to fight).
- This is the last series that the Riders transform using the traditional Ishinomori style henshin belt, future installments would use the modular "Rider System" type.
- This is the first Heisei Rider series with more than one titular Kamen Rider appearing in the series, as everyone who has been bestowed the power of Overlord of Light has the potential to transform into Agito. In the series timeline Shouichi is the second Agito, with his sister Yukina Sawaki being the first Agito, and followed by numerous people slowly becoming it, but most of them failed to transform into Agito, either because they commit suicide or are killed by The Lords.
- This is the first Heisei Era Kamen Rider series that has a connection to the previous series.
By Toei Company